- Managing Attorney
Thomas Walsh is Harmon's Managing Attorney. Tom has been with the firm since 1997. He has served as the manager of litigation, the managing attorney and as an attorney director at the firm. Prior to joining Harmon, he focused his practice on litigation and bankruptcy working at Casner & Edwards, LLP and Weiss Angoff, Coltin & Koski, PC in Boston. Tom graduated from Northeastern University (B.S., 1985) and George Washington University, The National Law Center, (J.D, 1988) and began his legal career clerking for the Hon. Christine O'Dell Miller at the United States Court of Federal Claims in Washington, DC.
Tom has over 25 years' experience working in the default area representing local and national lenders. Tom's default related practice areas have included handling foreclosure, bankruptcy, summary process and litigation matters in various state and federal trial and appellate courts in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. He also has broad experience handling trial and appellate matters involving insurance coverage, government contracts, employment discrimination, trademark infringement, consumer protection, title and other real property cases as well as other bankruptcy and litigation matters.
At Harmon, in addition to overseeing several departments, Tom devotes a substantial amount of his time on developing methods to streamline the business and legal workflow for a high volume practice and on developing training materials, policies and procedures for complying with numerous client, investor and regulatory requirements.
Tom has been a regular speaker at Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) and MBA seminars on the subjects of foreclosures, title and bankruptcy.
He is admitted to practice in all of the state and federal courts for Massachusetts and Rhode Island, the Court of Federal Claims and the First and Federal Circuit Courts of Appeals.
YEAR JOINED FIRM
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Litigation 45%
- Bankruptcy 20%
- Landlord-Tenant 15%
- Closing and Title 15%
- Foreclosure 5%
80% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Massachusetts, 1989
- Rhode Island, 1997
- U.S. District Court District of Rhode Island, 1998
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit, 1989
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 1989
- George Washington University Law School, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. - 1988
- Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts
- B.S. - 1985
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Resolving Complex Title Issues and Problems, MCLE, 2010
- Nat'l Mtg. Servicer's Resource Directory, Massachusetts , USFN, 2008-2013
- Williams v. Resolution Trust CGY Oy, 417 Mass. 377, 1994, Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court (SJC)
- Northwest Mortgage v. Masse, 799 A. 2d 299, 2002, Rhode Island Supreme Court
- Hochberg v. Zoecon Corp., 734 A.2d 956, 1998, Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court (SJC)
- Commonwealth Mortgage Assurance v. Disano, 734 A.2d 956, 1998, Rhode Island Supreme Court
- In re Medaglia, 402 B.R. 530, 2009, United States Bankruptcy Court Rhode Island
- In re Carvahlo, 335 F.3d 45, 2003, 1st Cir.
- Carroll v. Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Massachusetts, 34 F.3d 1065, 1994, 1st Cir.
- DiLibero v. Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems, Inc., 198 A.3d 1259 (2019), 2019, Rhode Island Supreme Court, 2017-57-APPEAL
- Strategies for Avoiding & Resolving Common Title Problems, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (MCLE), 2005 to 2009
- Foreclosure and Workouts, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (MCLE), 2010 to 2010
- Soaring Foreclosures, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (MCLE), 2007 to 2008
- Distressed Properties (Series II), MBA, 2010 to 2010
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Massachusetts Bar Association, 1989 to Present
- Rhode Island Bar Association, 1997 to Present
- Massachusetts Real Estate Bar Association (REBA), Co-Chair of the Litigation Committee, 2011 to Present
- Rhode Island Access to Justice, 1997 to 2013
- US Court of Federal Claims Bar Association, 1989 to 1989
PAST EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS
- Casner & Edwards, LLP, Associate, 1992 to 1997
- Weiss, Angoff, Coltin & Koski, Associate, 1989 to 1992
- United State Court of Federal Claims, Law Clerk to the Hon. Christine O'Dell Miller, 1988 to 1989
- Marriott Corporation Legal Department, 1987 to 1988
- Member, Board of Assessors, Town of Cumberland, Rhode Island